Non-contact testing of capped MEMS as service
Laser-Doppler-Vibrometry (LDV) is a well-established technique to study the mechanical dynamics of MEMS with utmost precision. However, most laser vibrometers work at visible wavelengths for which the silicon encapsulation is opaque and inhibits MEMS inspection. Thus, laser Doppler vibrometer testing of such MEMS via visible wavelengths requires either un-encapsulated MEMS or to decap the device.
All of our labs are set up for video conferencing for remote testing services allowing you to send in parts and join without the need for travel.
PolyXpert measurement as a service using patented laser technology for immediate results w/o investment
- Superior separation of device layers in capped MEMS reveal true MEMS behavior
- Extracting real motion data even from complex-structured Si-capped MEMS
- High resolution modal data up to 25 MHz for straightforward FEM validation of MEMS in final state
- Integrated high performance IR microscope measures through silicon walls
- Video microscope measuring mode reveals in-plane motion up to 2.5 MHz
- Standard data export formats for modal data, graphics and video for direct post-processing
- Free ScanViewer and desktop software for viewing and sharing measurement results
Modal testing of silicon encapsulated MEMS
However, the step of MEMS capping in fabrication processes may result in additional stress, which might alter the device performance. Therefore, a comprehensive characterization of the MEMS device in its final and encapsulated state is needed and indispensible. As silicon is transparent in the near infrared spectra above wavelengths of 1050 nm, infrared-interferometer-based vibration measurement opens up the possibility for inspecting of encapsulated MEMS for authentic and most representative analysis results. Polytec’s brand new, patented state-of-the-art interferometer technology now delivers supreme data quality due to superior separation of individual device layers in the capped MEMS devices.
For comprehensive and representative analysis of capped MEMS, contact us. Our PolyXperts are looking forward to receiving your capped MEMS sample for modal testing, feasibility studies and consulting throughout all phases from development over prototyping to manufacturing of your encapsulated microstructures.