Research & Development
By continuously investing in R&D and collaborating with research institutes, Polytec remains at the forefront of laser and optical measurement technologies. This results in unique and innovative ideas that produce world-class non-contact measurement solutions for our customers' critical applications.
Polytec's R&D department is staffed with 50 employees covering many disciplines. This team is dedicated to "Advancing Measurements by Light" by developing new technologies, electronics, software, optics and support documentation. Research areas are laser vibrometry, laser velocimetry, video microscopy, NIR spectrometry and surface metrology. Polytec is actively maintaining a close partnership with universities and technical associations while participating in both national and international research projects and in scientific networks.
National and International Awards
The high degree of innovation of Polytec Laser Measurement Systems is acknowledged by many national and international awards, such as the
- 2001 Photonics Circle of Excellence Award for the MSV-300 Micro-Scanning Vibrometer
- 2005 AMA Sensor Innovation Award for the MSA-400 Micro System Analyzer
- 2007 MessTec & Sensor Masters Award (2nd prize) for the RLV-5500 Rotational Vibrometer
- 2008 MessTec & Sensor Masters Award for the RoboVib Test Station
- 2009 Innovation Award finalist of the German Economy for the RoboVib Test Station
- 2009 MessTec & Sensor Masters Award for the Optical Derotator
- 2009 “Fibre de l’Innovation” by Opticsvalley for the UHF-120 Vibrometer
- 2011 Industry Prize (microsystem engineering category) for the UHF-120 Vibrometer
Research and Standardization Work
In close collaboration with academia and industry, Polytec is continuously taking part in many R&D projects, as well as in standardization committees and activities. Please find some examples here.
The PLAT4M (Photonic Libraries And Technology for Manufacturing) project will focus on bringing the existing silicon photonics research platform to a level that enables seamless transition to industry, suitable for different application fields and levels of production volume. Polytec is exploring possible applications of silicon photonics in laser-Doppler vibrometry.
Calibration of Laser Vibrometers
The German National Metrology Institute (Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, PTB) has developped the international standard ISO 16063-41:2011 "Methods for the calibration of vibration and shock transducers - Part 41: Calibration of laser vibrometers" together with Polytec. Polytec's interferometers are inherent part of the PTB's standard measurement devices for dynamics (example).
Calibration of White-light Interferometers
"Calibration of White-light Interferometers" is a joint project where Polytec cooperates with universities, institutes and standardization committees working on national standards within the German VDIVDE Calibration Guideline 2655.
Joint Project HOLOVIB
Within ther framework of the joint project HOLOVIB, computer generated holograms are developped for innovative measurement methods using laser Doppler vibrometry. Partners are Polytec, the University of Stuttgart and Bosch GmbH.
Key subjects of Optics Development are:
- Research on new optical sensor principles
- Test and assessment of new components and modules for future devices
- Development of specifications for design and manufacturing
The key subjects of Electronics Development at Polytec are:
- Digital signal processing based on DSP, FPGA and micro controller hardware
- Development of analog circuits in the high and low frequency range
- Optimization of opto-electronic circuits
- PCB design
The main topics of Software Development at Polytec are:
- Development of highly integrated, performing software applications to control, acquire, save and analyze measurement data of the Polytec products Vibrometer, PSV, TMS, PMA, MSA, QuickCheck and PSS
- Use of modern technologies (multi-core, GPU, client/server) to be able to acquire, save, analyze and display streams of data of acquisition boards, cameras, and spectrometers in real-time
- Application of component oriented architecture, automation, plug-in, and add-in concepts allowing to offer customer specific extensions efficiently and to provide open and flexible interfaces
- Close collaboration with users to create and optimize efficient user interfaces and new interactive concepts
- Use of the latest integrated development environments to program using the languages C++ and C#
- Maintenance high quality standards by applying configuration management, version control, code reviews, static code analysis, automated and manual testing methods
- We create and maintain professional installation programs for the whole range of Microsoft operating systems
Key subjects of Engineering at Polytec are:
- Design and modeling of opto-electronic sensor systems in 3D-CAD
- Design reviews for verification and information exchange
- Industrial design of device housings and interiors
- Rapid prototyping